Jersey Mike’s Fundraiser
Next Date: May 20th
Jersey Mike’s locations in Sterling, Ashburn, and Leesburg are supporting Backpack Buddies on the 3rd Mondays of the month.
Eat at any of the following three locations between 5:00pm and 9:00pm and 20% of the total will be donated to Galilee’s Backpack Buddies program.
522 Fort Evans Rd – Leesburg
20700 Ashbrook Commons Plaza – Ashburn
21031 Tripleseven Rd – Sterling
For more information, see the flyer
What is it?
The Backpack Buddies program was established at Galilee United Methodist Church (GUMC) in January 2011. The program is supported by generous donations of food, money, and time from the congregants of Galilee. Currently, the program serves 282 children weekly at Meadowland and Countryside Elementary Schools and Seneca Ridge Middle School.
The Galilee United Methodist Backpack Buddies ministry connects our resources, congregation, and community to meet the nutritional needs of all under-served children in Loudoun County.
Why Get Involved?
As Christians, we are the light of Christ in the world. Matthew 25:37-40 reminds us that God calls us to reach out to those around us and serve one another:
Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.’
How Can You Help?
Volunteer: We will have ongoing opportunities to sort food and pack the backpacks.
- Visit our pantry in room 304 by the GUMC gym any Sunday. The pantry will be open for packing on the first and third Sundays of each month at 10 am.
- To sign up for a packaging time other than Sunday morning, contact rebecca Makowski rebecca.makowski(at)galileeumc.org
We welcome scouts, families, small groups, and others at your convenience during the week. Please request a time, and we’ll contact you.
- For an overview of the Backpack Buddies events,
Lead: Join our award-winning team of volunteer leaders.
- The Backpack Buddies Leadership Team is comprised of a Chairperson, Communication Coordinator, Pantry Coordinator, Development Director, Leisure World Coordinator, and School Liaison.
- The team received the 2012 “Outstanding Volunteer Team” Award from Volunteer Loudoun.
- The team holds open meetings, and seeks new voices and opinions, on the second Tuesday of every month at 7:30 pm. Please join us!
Donate: There are three ways to donate.
- Donate financially to GUMC. Please indicate “Backpack Buddies” on your donation.
- Shop using the Items will be delivered directly to GUMC, and information for your tax deduction is included on the list. For some food items, you can “subscribe” for regular delivery and save up to 20%.
- Shop in local stores and drop off at GUMC. Please use the shopping list below. You can also pick up a reusable shopping bag at GUMC – the shopping list is printed on the bag. We always need the following items. For week-to-week updates on pressing needs, please “like” the
- BREAKFAST (oatmeal, cereal, granola bars, etc.)
- LUNCH (cheese/peanut butter crackers, soup, ramen noodles, etc.)
- DINNER (ravioli, canned tuna/chicken/ham, easy mac and cheese)
- SNACKS (pretzels, applesauce, fruit cups, pudding, etc.)
- MILK (shelf-stable milk boxes, Horizon, Organic Valley, Hershey’s, etc.)
- JUICE BOXES
- Call: (703) 430-2203