Recent NLI Efforts and Accomplishments
by Sandy Campbell, NLI Chair
Behind the scenes, Galilee’s Next Level Innovations work can be seen at every level of ministry.
• Staff members have spent considerable time with their counterparts at our mentor church, Floris UMC, which is a large and vibrant congregation. Galilee office personnel and ministry leaders have exchanged ideas about staffing, worship planning, youth ministry, community service and audio/visual practices. Pastor Jason continues to meet regularly with Tom Berlin, Senior Pastor at FUMC, to discuss elements of church growth and management.
• There has been significant transition towards differentiating our two Sunday morning services, making the 11AM worship service more traditional – there will be more organ music and traditional hymns, and other established liturgical worship elements, such as the Apostle’s Creed, will be featured more regularly. 9AM will feature varied music with performances by the Galilee Praise Project and other soloists and combinations.
• GROW groups return in a big way in September and there are plans in the works for a Grow Fair later this Fall, which will help congregants explore how they might like to participate in this popular feature of Sunday morning worship.
• Backpack Buddies is ramping up activity to meet the needs of the school children we serve, and your support is always welcome and needed. There is a new sponsorship drive with the “Backpack Buddies School House.”
• Clearly one of the most visible evidence of NLI accomplishments is through the Trustees’ building care and maintenance, which this summer has included roof repair and other less noticeable, but equally important, updates and changes. The Trustees continue to work on future building needs and will have more news to share with us later this fall.
We will hold another Town Hall later this autumn to share all the accomplishments and movement towards NLI goals and objectives – look for a date to be announced later this month.
Please continue to pray for the work of NLI and all the folks involved who are giving of their time and talent to take Galilee UMC from ‘good to great’ and continue our mission to know Christ and to make Christ known to others.
As always, your feedback, comments, volunteer interests and questions are welcome – reach out to me any time at email@example.com.
What is Next Level?
Next Level is a district-level investment in churches that have significant potential for growth. Galilee was one of a handful of Northern Virginia churches chosen to participate in this initiative. We voted on a set of Five Innovations to enact in 2018:
Innovation #1 – Space. The Trustees will work to improve our facilities.
Innovation #2 – Grow. We want to develop stronger discipleship programs.
innovation #3 – Serve. We will deepen partnerships with schools, going beyond our successful Backpack Buddies model.
Innovation #4 – Worship. The goal is to create greater clarity, beauty, and excellence in worship. Our team is discerning the path toward that goal.
Innovation #5 – Generosity. The finance team works with the above four NLI teams to support their needs, while wisely managing resources and fostering a culture of giving.